The Langley Walk is held annually on the first Sunday in May. Residents are encouraged to lace up their shoes, gather their family and friends, and participate in a free event that has been part of the community for close to six decades.
Each year, the Walk is held in a different community of the Township or City of Langley. Participants can walk, run, or bike a five or ten kilometre route and enjoy entertainment and activities including face painting, games, and bouncy castles. Everyone who finishes the Walk will receive a commemorative crest, and all those who participate are eligible to win draw prizes.
Trophies and prizes will be awarded to the oldest walker and the most walkers from a school (Elementary, Middle, High), family, and organization.
Year of the Walk: 58th
Date: May 3, 2020
Time: Entertainment and Registration starts: 12:00 pm | 10km walk starts: 1:15 pm | 5km walk starts: 1:30 pm
Location: Douglas Park - 20550 Douglas Crescent
Route maps will be posted closer to the event date.
The 2020 crest will be posted closer to the event date.
The Langley Walk was started in 1963 by Pete Swensson, Langley Township’s first Recreation Director, who was passionate about getting people involved in fitness. The first Walk drew about 500 people who walked a 22-mile course that stretched from Aldergrove Park to River Road, from Fort Langley to City Park. The Walk hit its peak in the 1970s, attracting more than 5,000 people; today the walk attracts between 750-1000 people per year.
Past Walk Locations:
- 2019 - 57th - Aldergrove
- 2018 - 56th - Brookswood
- 2017 - 55th - Willoughby
- 2016 - 54th - Langley City
- 2015 - 53rd - Walnut Grove
- 2014 - 52nd - Fort Langley
- 2013 - 51st - Langley City
- 2012 - 50th - McLeod Athletic Park
- 2011 - 49th - Brookswood
- 2010 - 48th - Willoughby
- 2009 - 47th - Langley City
- 2008 - 46th - Fort Langley
- 2007 - 45th - Walnut Grove
Find stories related to the annual event by clicking the links below.
- 2019 - Aldergrove Star - 57th annual Langley Walk takes family fun seriously
- 2018 - Langley Advance - Walk an important Langley tradition for many returnees
- 2018 - Langley Times - Brookswood hosts 56th annual Langley Walk
- 2017 - Langley Advance - Langley Walk sets off under blue skies