Our City is growing, and to shape our municipality into a more livable and healthy for all residents, the City of Langley is developing a Child Care Action Plan to create and facilitate more affordable childcare opportunities in the community.
The City applied for a grant from the Union of BC Municipalities and in the spring of 2019, we received a $25,000 from the Ministry of Social and Family Development. The funds will be used to create an action plan outlining actions by the city, service providers and other stakeholders and would lead to the creation of new childcare spaces over the next 10 years.
While childcare licensing and funding is a provincial responsibility, local governments play an important leadership role in planning, coordinating and advocating for childcare and supporting the delivery of quality childcare and early learning spaces. Child Care is an important need in Langley City, this project will help create a Langley City’s Child Care Action Plan to help guide Langley City Staff and Langley Child Care Service providers to address childcare needs and issues.
We are following a two-phase process to create a Langley City Child Care Action Plan. The City and the Township of Langley are partnering on the first phase of the project, which focuses on community engagement, and will then develop separate Action Plans in the second phase. Work to prepare the plan will get underway in fall 2019, and we anticipate completing the plan by spring 2020, with implementation to follow. The information gathered through this project will be shared with the BC Ministry of Children and Family Development and may influence future investments in childcare.
Parents, Guardians, Caregivers and Child Care providers are being asked about child care needs and challenges, and to provide input on potential solutions. Make sure your voice is heard and help us to plan for better childcare services in Langley that meets the current and future needs of this diverse community.
If you are a Parent, Guardian or Caregiver, please complete the survey HERE.
If you are a Child Care Provider/Operator, please complete the survey HERE.
The City and Township of Langley will be looking for your feedback on childcare in Langley this fall, our community engagement plan includes:
- Review the inventory of licensed childcare space in the City of Langley
- Online and Paper Parent Survey (October 10 to November 22, 2019)
- Stakeholder and childcare providers online survey (October 10 to November 22, 2019)
- Parent and guardian meeting – Wednesday, November 6, 2019, from 6:00 pm-7:30 pm (childminding on-site and light refreshments provided) Timms Community Centre
- Pop-Up Parent Dialogues - Thursday, November 7, 2019, from 9:00 am-12:00 pm, Timms Community Centre
- Stakeholder Focus Group
Once the community engagement phase is completed, the City and Township of Langley will be using your feedback to create separate action plans, Langley City's action plan will include:
- Interpreted trends and numbers based on the parent and stakeholder engagement
- Review and analysis City bylaws, policies and plans and make recommendations
- Identify short term, medium-term and long term goals regarding space creation target and improved access to childcare services within the City of Langley
Langley City anticipates the Langley City Child Care Action Plan will be completed in spring 2020.
To be notified of upcoming public engagement activities on the Child Care Action Plan, please fill out the form in the link below.
For more information, contact:
Recreation, Culture & Community Services Department